Saturday, February 03, 2007

What really "counts"

I am currently sitting at a coffeeshop doing some work. A family came in and I overheard the kid (about 8 years old) say as they waited in line for their order:

"Hey Dad, I know we don't have time, but I can count to 140."
I about rolled out of my chair and lost control. Maybe it's just me, I do have a bizarre sense of humor at times, and trust me, I can entertain myself just fine. But I thought that was HILARIOUS!
The cute part was... he sat down with his dad and actually counted! I found myself silently routing him on as he approached 89... then stalled for some support from Dad. Then after a dramatic pause with a very concentrated contorted facial expression... HE zipped PAST 90 and made it to 100! He was clearly tickled with his progress thus far and called it quits for the day. They then left. But they left me with an odd sense of joy from witnessing a very cool father & son interaction.
Reminded me of Jesus. They way he would allow himself to be interrupted by people, especially children, who especially in those days were not appreciated. But when anyone would approach Jesus with a question, he would stop and listen. He listens to those with Child-like Faith.
Like in Mark 10: 13-16: One day some parents brought their children to Jesus so he could touch and bless them. But the disciples scolded the parents for bothering him.
When Jesus saw what was happening, he was angry with his disciples. He said to them, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children. I tell you the truth, anyone who doesn’t receive the Kingdom of God like a child will never enter it.” Then he took the children in his arms and placed his hands on their heads and blessed them.
I find myself hindering my prayer life because I think to myself: "Jesus, I know you don't have time, but I have a problem" I shoot myself in the foot, spiritually speaking, when I believe that. The Lord wants me to approach him... period. Anytime, anyplace, with any words, or any tone. I find comfort that I can come to God in anger. I can yell, I have even "exchanged words" with the Lord, if you know what I mean. You know what, he responded as a loving Father would. He comforts me. Gives me peace of mind.
Lord willing, one day I will have a son. And I will be excited for the day to come when he says: "Hey Dad, I know we don't have time, but I count to 140". And I will say, there's plenty of time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home