Friday, September 22, 2006

Committed to the Cause

I came across this excerpt from a sermon online... it made me think:

"Two veteran pilots from WW II met and began comparing notes of their experiences in the war. One was an American pilot, the other flew for the Japanese. They discussed the capabilities of their aircraft, the types of munitions, the friends lost in battle. At last the American proudly related that he flew 350 missions. The Japanese pilot lowered his head and quietly said that he had flown 50. 'Fifty?' replied the American. 'Fifty is good, you shouldn't be ashamed that you only flew fifty.' 'Thank you, thank you,' answered the Japanese pilot, bowing his head. 'But I Kamikaze pilot.'

The Japanese pilot was not committed to the cause in which he signed up for. For me... that is a good reminder for me to take a look at my life. Am I committed to the cause in which I "signed up for", or better yet... that I have been called out for. Called out from a life that was once hopeless and littered with pain. God has pulled me from the muck and given me a reason to live... a cause to be committed to. Oh there is still pain, but when you know where you are going, the roughest of roads can't defeat you.

Another illustration of commitment is with the Chicken and the Pig:

"As they talked about the contributions there were going to be making soon on their farm, the Chicken said with a grin, "I feel like I can really make a difference here, the Farmer always needs eggs! Hey Pig, aren't you excited to help?", and with a heavy sigh the Pig glumly replied, "That is easy for you to say... you are just involved, but I am totally committed."

There is a difference about just being involved and committed. There is a price to pay with commitment... not like the Pig will pay, but I think you get the point. Commitment comes with sacrifice. The question is.. am I willing?

"As for me and my house, we will serve The Lord!" - Joshua 24:15

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home